Home > Finance > Working Tax Credits

Working Tax Credits

By: Jeff Durham - Updated: 18 Sep 2012 | comments*Discuss
Working Tax Credits Tax Credits Working

Working tax credits are part of the UK’s system of means-tested social security benefits designed to help individuals and families who are on low incomes.


You must be living in the UK to be able to claim working tax credits and working over a certain number of hours per week. If you’re 16 or over and working 16 or more hours a week, you might be able to claim working tax credits if you are responsible for a child or if you are disabled and are entitled to a related qualifying benefit, depending on your income.

If you’re 25 or over, working at least 30 hours a week and currently earning below £12,800 you might also be eligible for working tax credits and this includes those who may not have a child.

If you’re 50 or over, working at least 16 hours per week and you began your job within the last 3 months, you might also be entitled to claim working tax credits if you were in receipt of certain other benefits for at least 6 months prior to commencing your job.

How Much Money Might I Receive?

There are a number of elements which determine how much you might be entitled to in working tax credits. The tax credits system is quite complex and the amount you could receive may be comprised of both working tax credits and child tax credits.

However, for the current financial year – which is calculated from April 5, 2008 – the maximum amount of the basic element of working tax credit is £1,800. The actual amount you’ll receive will ultimately be determined by the amount of income you derive from your job.

Obviously, the higher your income, the less working tax credit you will receive. As for child tax credit, the maximum basic family element is £545 with up to an additional £2,085 for each child. You might be able to claim more than this if any of your children are disabled.

How Are the Payments Made?

Payments are made either weekly or once every 4 weeks and are paid directly into your bank or building society account or, alternatively, into a Post Office or National Savings account.

What if I’m Married or Live With a Partner?

In this situation, you should apply jointly for working tax credit. However, only one parent or partner can make a claim for child tax credit so you will need to decide which one of you should make the claim. If you’re unsure, your local Citizens' Advice Bureau can help you with this.

What If My Circumstances Change?

It is very important to notify HM Revenue & Customs of any change in your financial circumstances as they could affect the qualifying criteria. Too many people fail to notify HM Revenue & Customs and end up getting into financial difficulty because they eventually have to pay back any money to which they were not entitled because of a change in financial circumstances. In some cases, prosecution can also result if it’s deemed that you fraudulently accepted money to which you had no right.

How to Apply

If you think that you may be eligible to claim working tax credit/child tax credit, you should contact the Tax Credits helpline. Telephone calls to this number cost the same as a local call. Alternatively, you can pick up an application pack from your local Jobcentre Plus or benefits office.

Your local Citizens' Advice Bureau will also be able to help you with any queries you have regarding the tax credits system. They’ll also be able to assist you if you have been turned down for tax credits but wish to lodge an appeal against the decision if they feel you are eligible for financial help under the system.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Sasha
    Re: Credentials Needed to Become a CV Writer
    Hello, I am interested in starting up a business in CV writing as this is something I enjoy doing and have received…
    24 January 2020
  • Lewis
    Re: A CV for a Teenager
    I'm a student studying GCSE levels and looking fot work experience. Also looking to make money.
    18 January 2020
  • GreatCVs
    Re: A CV for a Teenager
    this website is being shut down because nobody uses it and we have seen alot of minorites coming to the site we dont like minorites
    12 November 2019
  • Prof. Hugh Janus
    Re: A CV for a Teenager
    Good evening ladies and gentleman, I am Professor Hugh Janus PHD in Microscopy. My students very much enjoy this website while making their…
    5 November 2019
  • Prof. Big D
    Re: A CV for a Teenager
    Good evening ladies and gentleman, I am Professor Hugh Janus PHD in Microscopy. My students very much enjoy this website while making their…
    5 November 2019
  • pete
    Re: A CV for a Teenager
    Yeah sure charles lets teach him a lesson ;)
    21 June 2019
  • charles
    Re: A CV for a Teenager
    Hey Pete can i join you in that basement
    20 June 2019
  • linards
    Re: A CV for a Teenager
    Dont listen to alex it was all me my name is linards prodnieks
    19 June 2019
  • GreatCVs
    Re: A CV for a Teenager
    Our company has banned your IPs and you won't be able to use them next week but you have until Monday. The police are investigating this…
    18 June 2019
    Re: A CV for a Teenager
    Okay Okay Alex Boor I Get Your frustrated how pete did such a thing to you but we are still I'm a investigation of who cumed on my wife and…
    18 June 2019